What to bring with you to the Delivery Suite
Below is a list of suggested items to pack for your hospital stay.
Files and medicine
- Pregnancy records, including your birth plan.
- Any prescribed medicine.
- Two comfortable maternity bras or support vests.
- Two nursing bras if you're planning to breastfeed.
- Dressing gown.
- 3 to 4 nightgowns or pyjamas (light ones – hospitals can be warm).
- Wide opening nightshirt pyjamas if breastfeeding.
- An old T-shirt or shirt for labour.
- Consider a v-neck top for breastfeeding.
- Underwear – choose large cotton or disposable.
- A pair of socks for labour (your feet can get cold).
- Flip-flops or other waterproof sandals for the shower.
Hair clips and bands
- Hair clips and hair bands to keep your hair off your face during labour.
Towels and toiletries
- Towel (choose dark colours to avoid staining) for each day you're in hospital.
- Toiletries - lip balm, toothbrush, hairbrush, face cloth, tissues.
- Breast pads and nipple cream.
- Two large packs of maternity sanitary towels.
- Small bottle of hand sanitiser.
Snacks and water bottle
- Healthy snacks (such as fruit and rice cakes).
- Refillable water bottle.
- If you plan on using one, any birthing equipment like a birthing ball or TENS machine.
- Phone and phone charger.
- Things to help you pass the time and relax (books, magazines, newspapers, music and earphones).
- Your own pillow, if you want to bring one. Use a pillowcase with a colour or pattern to avoid being mistaken for a hospital pillow.
After the birth
- Pen and paper (you may have to record your baby's feeds).
- Change for the car park.
- Loose-fitting clothes for the trip home (which will fit you at 26 weeks pregnant).
What to pack for your baby
These are the items you need to pack for your baby:
- Six baby vests, six babygrows and six bibs.
All baby clothes should be washed before packing.
Towels and blankets
- Pre-washed baby towels.
- Two cellular baby blankets.
- One pack of 24 newborn nappies.
- One roll of cotton wool or a pack of cotton wool balls.
- Baby wipes.
- Nappy cream.
- Car seat (to be brought in on the day you are going home).
Do not bring valuable items into hospital.