Maternity & Neonatal Social Work
Our Medical Social Work Department provides a practical and emotional support service to patients and parents who may be experiencing additional challenges.
These challenges may include:
- An unplanned/crisis pregnancy
- Coping with stress, anxiety or change
- Relationship issues
- Limited social supports
- A pregnancy with medical complications for mum and/or baby
- An admission of a baby to our Neonatal Unit
- Managing substance misuse in pregnancy
- Pregnancy loss, stillbirth, or neonatal death
- Experiencing domestic violence during pregnancy (*please watch our important video about domestic violence in pregnancy)
The Social Work team works closely with other professionals both within the hospital and in the community to ensure our patients get the supports they need.
Please note that this service is free of charge and a referral can be made by your medical team. Once a referral is received you will be contacted by a Social Worker (either by telephone or appointment letter) to set up an initial assessment. We will arrange to have your appointment coincide with other hospital appointments where/if possible
If you wish to speak to a Social Worker, please ask your Midwife, Doctor or healthcare worker who will make contact with the department on your behalf. Alternatively, if you would like to access the service directly, you can contact us on (021) 492 0567
Office Hours: Monday to Friday (08:00 - 16:00hrs)